Chapter 10 : Termination of employment
The researcher in charge or, in the event the latter is unable to take action, the Employer may terminate a postdoctoral fellow’s employment as a result of any of the following situations:
- departure of researcher in charge from the University and loss of her or his funding;
- lack of funds needed to continue the research project because of a decrease in funding or an increase in expenses;
- assessment of the postdoctoral fellow’s work as unsatisfactory;
- loss of eligibility for postdoctoral fellow status;
- failure to register as a postdoctoral fellow with the University.
When a researcher in charge must terminate a postdoctoral fellow’s employment in accordance with the provisions in clause 10.01, and when more than one postdoctoral fellow is working on the research project in question, she or he shall take the following criteria, among others, into account:
- continuous service;
- disciplinary record;
- assessment of performance.
In the event that the researcher in charge or the Employer terminates a postdoctoral fellow’s employment in accordance with the provisions in clause 10.01, she or he shall notify the latter in writing four (4) weeks before ending the latter’s employment.
If such notice is not given or is not given within the prescribed time, the Employer shall provide the postdoctoral fellow with pay in lieu of notice equivalent to her or his normal pay for a period equal to that of the duration or the remaining duration of the notice period.